Shaving is very different from what it used to be. Now millions of men seem to be caught in the many marketing messages around them, convinced by brands that the best way to get a close shave is by having more and more blades in a razor.
There are some of us though who know that wet shaving with a safety razor or straight edge razor is hands down the best way to get close results. And wet shaving means using the right products for the job, such as facial oils.
A facial oil for shaving can be a great addition to your men skin care arsenal. These are products made from vegetable oil or a blend of different vegetable oils, which work to build a protective layer on your skin. This way, you can shave very closely without damaging your skin in the process.
Traditionally, these oils were used right before applying shaving cream, but new products have been designed to be used alone. Here, you will learn more about the best shaving oils in the market and how you can take full advantage of them!
Why Use Facial Oil
Applying facial oil before shaving will not only build a protective layer and prepare your skin for shaving. It also has the goal of helping the razor glide easily over the skin and add moisture while you are shaving.
- Using oil takes little time, and over time you’ll notice your skin gets better. Here are some additional benefits of using oil:
- Lasts long. Just a few drops are enough for a day.
- Minimizes the appearance of ingrown hair, razor burn and bumps.
- They are an excellent natural alternative to chemical based products.
- It allows you to style your beard easily.
- It doesn’t clog your pores.
Can I Moisturize My Face With Shaving Oil?
Facial oils do help moisturizing your skin during and after shaving. But in our opinion they aren’t a great substitute to facial moisturizers.
The reason they don’t act as a good substitute is because they don’t provide protection against UVA/UVB rays, or Vitamin A, or antioxidants. All of them important ingredients which help you fight the signs of aging and improve your skin’s appearance.
It would be a good idea to look for the best facial moisturizers in the market.
The Best Shaving Facial Oils
Over the past year we have tried different brands of facial oils, and here we share with you the ones that stand out in quality and long-term benefits!
American Crew Lubricating Shave Oil
American Crew is a brand known around the World for the high quality of its products. This lubricating shave oil does an amazing job preparing your skin and beard for the passing of the razor.
Its formula contains a combination of clove oil and other essential oils that leave your face feeling hydrated and smooth long after your shaving sessions. Thanks to its beard-softening properties, this oil lets you shave comfortably – especially if you use a safety razor.
At $11, this oil may cost a bit more than other alternatives but it is totally worth the investment.
Grooming Lounge Beard Master Shave Oil
Grooming Lounge is another quality brand that has become increasingly popular in the past few years.
Their facial oil is called the Beard Master, and is made with a combination of meadow foam oil (which lifts whiskers and prepare them for shaving), peppermint (used for that perfect lubrication) and avocado oil (an excellent ingredient that soothes your skin when shaving). This all-natural formula lets you shave away comfortably without razor burn or rashes.
This shaving oil has turned out to be a real shave secret! Even though the brand is not as popular as the ones mentioned above, this product does a great job at preparing and protecting your skin when shaving.
Shave Secret has been formulated to avoid common problems such as ingrown hairs, shaving bumps, nicks, cuts and dry skin. Right now there only seems to be one scent which is kind of spicy and cinnamon-like. It’s a strange scent to describe, but it sure smells nice.
This shaving oil doesn’t leave a mess after shaving. Quite the contrary, it leaves your face feeling smooth and hydrated.
How to Use Shaving Oil
Using shaving oil is very easy. At the same time they are different from shaving foams and creams. Here is a complete guide that will help you apply shaving oil for the first time successfully.
- Begin as always, by washing your face throughly. If you can, use a facial scrub, which not only eliminates dirt on the outer layers of the skin, but also helps removing dead skin cells.
- Now it’s time to apply the oil. A common mistake many men make is that they apply too much oil. You actually need very little oil to cover your face and neck. 2 – 3 drops on the palm should be enough for most men.
- Now rub your palms together and start applying the oil by massaging your skin with small circular motions. Take a minute or so to help the oil act.
- Now start to shave. While doing so, keep your skin wet. Water helps the oil spread evenly over the skin and prevents the oil from drying up (something that can make shaving more difficult!).
- That’s it! Rinse and wash your face afterwards as you always do. You can apply a pair of drops on our skin after shaving for moisturizing, but as we said earlier it is better to use a facial moisturizer.
Best Facial Oil for Sensitive Skin
Sensitive skin can easily suffer from redness and irritation, so choosing the right oil is very important.
We recommend you to try out The Art of Shaving’s Unscented Shave Oil for Sensitive Skin. This is a scent-free shaving oil that has been formulated to be very gentle on the skin. It is made of natural ingredients, pure Castor Oil and Olive Oil, a combination that reduces irritation, redness, and nurtures your skin to prevent ingrown hair problems.
It works great on thick beards too, letting you shave away easily without hair pulling and damage. It is completely rash and allergy-free.